E-Portfolio as a Professional Tool

An e-portfolio serves as a digital chronology of learning, improvement, growth, and performance for a reflective practitioner.  It provides structure and mechanism to authentically and accurately document and archive experiences that have shaped the author into who they are presently and who they will become in the future.  Use of an e-portfolio may provide permanence or impermanence (the writer may decide what segments of history are kept or discarded) to the record of personal/professional change and evolution.  The documentation of past experiences, thoughts, and opinions allow the author to challenge, evaluate and revisit previous processes, beliefs, and strategies.  We as humans are changing every moment, every interaction, every connection.  These experiences transform, extend, and shape our thoughts, motivations, and understandings.  An e-portfolio provides an opportunity to have an online personal/professional journal that documents a teaching and learning journey from its infancy.  This dynamic tool may be used to display professional abilities, philosophies, and values when applying for teaching positions.  The e-portfolio documents progression and transformation through chronological posts/writings which raises self-awareness, allows vision from an alternate perspective, and encourages lifelong learning and growth.  An e-portfolio is a living, breathing representation of past and present and is only as valuable as the authenticity and effort put into its creation and reflection.

I plan on using the e-portfolio as a professional tool box once I have graduated from the pre-service education program.  It will be my digital journal of experiences, lessons, and feedback that will foster my improvement as a reflective practitioner and teacher.  I love the idea of using an e-portfolio as a record of my change and evolution as I continue to learn and grow throughout my career.  I believe that having an e-portfolio and using it professionally showcases a level of technological expertise that is generally expected in our current world.  It also provides an opportunity to exhibit creative flare and originality to future employers.  I have to admit that I was not initially sold on the idea, but I have to say that I am now an e-portfolio convert!  Well played Melanie and David.  Well played.